Alternative Medicine Community College
Run by Athma Trust, Registered by Government Of TamilNadu,India. Reg.No.16/2012
Cupping Therapy - Hijamah
"Indeed the best of remedies you have is hijama" - Saheeh al-Bukhari (5371).
Wet cupping is also known as Hijamah or medicinal bleeding. The first documented uses are found in the teachings of the Islamic prophet, Muhammad. According to Muhammad al-Bukhari, Muslim ibn al- Haijai Nishapuri and Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Muhammad approved of the Hijama (cupping) treatment.
Importance of Hijama in the Divine Guidance
Instead of putting our words in favor of cupping, we must see the following ahadith that are enough to explain the importance of hijama.
- "Indeed in hijama (cupping) there is a cure”. – Saheeh Muslim
- “Indeed, the best of remedies you have is hijama (cupping)”. – Saheeh Al Bukhari
- “Hijama is the most helpful procedure for human beings to cure themselves”.– Saheeh Al Bukhari and Saheel Muslim
- "The importance of hijama in the divine guidance can further be stressed by the following words which were related to the Prophet SAW on the night of Israa (ascension to the heaven) by angles: “O Mohammed, order your ummah (people) with hijama (cupping)”.– Saheeh, Sunan Tirmidhi.
- The Prophet Muhammad صلاللهعليهوسلم is reported to have had hijama perfromed on his head for migraine [Bukhari], on his foot after a sprain [Ibn Majah], on his neck [Abu Dawud], on his hip for hip pain [Abu Dawud] and between his shoulders for detoxification [Ahmed].
- Abdullah ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet صلاللهعليهوسلم said: “I did not pass by an angel from the angels on the night journey except that they all said to me: Upon you is cupping (hijama), O Muhammad.”[Saheeh, Sunan ibn Majah]
- “The best medicine with which you treat yourselves is cupping, or it is one of the best of your medicines.” Or“The treatment you can use is cupping.” [Bukhari: 5371]
- “Cupping is the most helpful procedure for human beings to cure themselves.” [Bukhari and Muslim]
- Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger صلاللهعليهوسلم said, “If there was something excellent to be used as a remedy then it is cupping (hijama).” [Sunan Abu Dawud, Sunan Ibn Majah]